SyracuseCoE invites applications from industry Partners for the Industry Collaboration Internship Program. The program provides up to $3,000 to support costs for a paid internships at SyracuseCoE Partner firms related to indoor environmental quality (IEQ), high performance/green building, clean and renewable energy and water resources.
The deadline to apply is Friday, February 28, 2020.
This program helps students pursuing degrees in science, engineering and architecture by immersing them in “real-world” learning environments where they work with industry professionals and develop technical skills. The goal of the program is to foster valuable relationships with local firms, increasing post-graduation student retention in the Central Upstate region. To date, 32 companies and 99 students have participated in this program, which is supported by annual fees paid by SyracuseCoE Partners.
To apply, firms must be members of the 2020 SyracuseCoE Partner Program and offer students pre-professional or academically relevant experiences. No more than 20% of the intern’s time can be spent on routine office/factory work. The internship must offer a wage that meets or exceeds Federal minimum wage standards and be consistent with company wage structure for similar internships.
Partner companies do not need to pre-select a student intern for this program. The review of companies’ internship applications will be primarily based on the proposed scope of work for the intern. After notification of award from SyracuseCoE, companies must submit the name of the selected student intern by May 15, 2020.
Syracuse University’s CASE Co-op Program may be able to administer the payroll portion of student salaries for Syracuse University students. Information will be provided to companies on request.
How to Apply
The deadline has passed for 2020.
Applications will be reviewed using the following selection criteria. Please address these points in your project description.
- Project fits with SyracuseCoE focus areas (Please note if project is a follow-on to a previous SyracuseCoE-supported project.)
- Student work will be largely technical, challenging and meaningful
- Project will allow the company to grow and contribute to the local economy
Number of Internships
For 2020, SyracuseCoE intends to fund up to 8 summer internships at Partner firms, with each commitment providing up to $3,000 per company.
- Selected students must be enrolled in a part- or full-time degree program at an accredited college or university.
- SyracuseCoE internship support will pay wages only.
- Employer must assume all other costs of employment, including but not limited to, payroll taxes, worker’s compensation, insurance, etc.
- Employer must send invoices for student’s wages to SyracuseCoE, including payroll records (e.g. signed timesheets) documenting hours worked. Final invoices must be received no later than August 31, 2020.
- Employer must identify and provide a mentor for the intern with a commitment to meet with them for at least one hour weekly.
- Interns cannot be self-employed, employed or supervised by a family member, or employed by a lobbying organization.
- Interns will be invited to SyracuseCoE networking events during the summer, and they must develop and present an end-of-summer poster showcasing the project(s) on which he/she worked. Event dates will be announced before June 15, 2020.
- Employers must provide interns and SyracuseCoE with a written evaluation of the intern’s performance. Final payment to hosting company is contingent on proper submittal of this evaluation.
If your firm is in need of student interns to provide technical support over the summer, or during the academic year, we encourage you to contact Marilyn Polosky at 315-443-1060 or firstname.lastname@example.org, representing Syracuse University’s CASE Center’s Co-Op program.